Groma is an open access peer-reviewed e-journal of the Department of History and Cultures (DISCI) of the University of Bologna focusing on the different methodologies applied to archaeology.
Particular attention is paid to Mediterranean archaeology and to specific methodological aspects such as archaeological documentation and landscape archaeology. Furthermore, Groma will open up the range of the contributions to a wider methodological scope.
The methodological aspect must address specific archaeological questions, preferably contextualized within case-studies and field experiences.
The journal constists in three sections
- Articles, max. 40,000 characters
- Notes, shorter papers (max. 15,000 characters) dedicated to case studies, use and tests of specific instruments, brief methodological considerations.
- Reviews of books (max. 5,000 characters) edited in the last 5 years.
Submitted papers should examine the following themes:
- Landscape Archaeology
- Archaeological Documentation
- Remote Sensing
- Material Culture
- Physical Anthropology
- Experimental Archaeology
- Public Archaeology
Submitted papers will be subject to a double-blind peer review by an expert and carefully evaluated based on originality, significance, archaeological content, and clarity of exposition.
Accepted papers will appear in the online journal within the year.
To submit a paper, please send the full text and images to email@example.com. External file transmission services (like WeTransfer, Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.) can be used.
In addition to the full text and images authors must compile, sign and provide the following documents:
Pubblication Fees & APC
Groma does not apply any author's submission fee, any article processing charge (APC) or any other publication related fee. Groma is therefore an Open Content Journal.
- Only articles written in English will be accepted
- Papers should never exceed the recommended length (footnote included), that varies depending on the journal section:
- Articles max. 40,000 characters
- Notes max. 15,000
- Book reviews max. 5,000 characters.
- A final reference list must be included if in-text bibliographical references are used.
- Footnotes should be limited to bibliographical references and in any case must not be longer than 200 characters, spaces included.
- For each submitted paper, except book reviews, a short abstract (up to 600 characters), written in English, is required.
- A key-image must be provided for each paper. The key image must be in 4 by 3 ratio, landscape oriented and with minimum resolution of 1200x900px (72dpi). For book reviews the cover of the reviewed book should be supplied.
- Up to 10 high-resolution images and graphics are requested (color or B/W). Images should never be embedded in the text, but must be sent separately. No additional images are required for book reviews.
- Captions must be provided for each image, in a separate plain or rich text file, with copyright references if images are not property of the authors.
- Bibliographical references should follow the Chicago Manual of Style, Author-date system